Living in an apartment is nothing compared to dorm living. I live in a small apartment complex located just along the road, walking distance from the university. It is a one bedroom, one bath apartment that comes with a full kitchen, two dressers, a dining room table with accompanying chairs, refrigerator and a microwave.
Upon arriving from my short 3 hour drive from Dallas, I anxiously, but eagerly, navigate my way through the complex, attempting to locate the room of the Resident Assistant so as to obtain the key. Luckily, I was able to find a person who instructed me through the whole process.
"Room 214. That's the second floor." I slowly walked up the stairs, located the room number, and knocked at the door. Nobody answered, so I let myself in.
As I opened the door, the sight of a dead cockroach on the corner of the room made itself evident. I thought to myself: "Oh my...I hate cockroaches." Ignoring the dead carcass, I quickly toured the apartment. It's small alright, but it will do.
I unpack all my belongings, only realizing that I have forgotten the food that my mother and I had prepared the night before. That would mean cooking something. Cooking-that's a scary thought. So...with the little time food knowledge that I had, I made my way through wal-mart and bought me a couple of things:
bananas, cereal, milk, yogurt, juice, frozen vegetable
Application realization:
1) I don't know how to cook
2) I don't know what to buy
3) This is harder than I thought, nor is it any fun, it's a great experience. I'm
learning a lot.
4) I don't know my way around the complex (where do I do my laundry? how do I file
complaints...? where does my RA live? where does the RD live?)
5) I bought a light bulb that cost me $3.88 and took me 15 minutes to pick out only to find out later on that the maintenance office provides those things for us. Upon finding that out, I had already torn up my receipt...That $3.88 could have bought me a frozen dinner!
6) Prioritize-food is a priority and a necessity.
7) Time is of the essence.
8) Purchase groceries economically and wisely
9) Plan out food preparations a week before
10) Showers should only be less than 10 minutes, 5 or less, even better.
11) The dollar store is a life saver: household items can be bought for only a $1!
12) I am not able to support myself without the help of my parents
13) This is my opportunity to learn how to cook and take care of myself-to prepare myself for the future
I type this thinking to myself: What does the Lord have to teach me on the duration of my stay here at this apartment? I have yet to find out...
No comments:
Post a Comment