It's the end of the school year, for most students. As I reflect back on my grade school, middle school, and high school years, I can't help but wince at how parents, today, highlight the great achievements and works of their kids. Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to it. I guess I just grew up in the different generation, with a different culture. Let me explain, and don't stone me for saying this.
Let's brag about me. Oh yes, I was your typical Asian kid, who made good grades (straight A's mind you), athletics (Yes, I actually won some awards in track), top orchestra without a private teacher, just hard work and dedication, perfect attendance, spelling bee champion, reading awards, plus tons and tons of achievement certificates. Where are all they now? tucked away in my scrapbook, waiting to be glued for all to see.
You see, I didn't have parents who would...gloat (for lack of a better word) about my awards. I knew they were always proud of me - no matter what, and it didn't take facebook to let others know that. For my opinion sake, will bragging about a child's accomplishments better anyone for that matter?...is it any of my friend's business? Will it accomplish something in other's lives? Well, for me, no. I get it, you're proud of your kids and what they have accomplished. They're still in grade-school, but hear me out...
Fast forward to their high school years - what happens then when they lose interest in whatever they were excelling at back in their elementary school years? What about their dreams and aspirations? They wanted to become a Doctor when they were 8, or 9, or 10, what about when they graduate high school? What if they decide that college is no longer in their future? You see, I think it puts a lot of pressure on kids when they expect so much out of them at such a young age.
Oh, Nursing, sure that's what my kid's going to do, you say, but then how will you react when they change their major to something like, Fine Arts? Will you be disappointed then? Questions like those run in my head....so, in light of that, I will, for the sake of the baby growing inside of me, I will rear my child up on the way that the Lord wants them to go. I will not be that parent that expects so much out of them. Expectations, when not met, will be crushed and only brings disappointment. I want to be a parent that will love my child no matter what. Graduate high school (it doesn't matter if you graduate with high honors), graduate college (go to whatever college you want to), pursue what the Lord has called you to do (money can only do so much for you, know that God will always and will never fail to take care of His children).
Let's brag about me. Oh yes, I was your typical Asian kid, who made good grades (straight A's mind you), athletics (Yes, I actually won some awards in track), top orchestra without a private teacher, just hard work and dedication, perfect attendance, spelling bee champion, reading awards, plus tons and tons of achievement certificates. Where are all they now? tucked away in my scrapbook, waiting to be glued for all to see.
You see, I didn't have parents who would...gloat (for lack of a better word) about my awards. I knew they were always proud of me - no matter what, and it didn't take facebook to let others know that. For my opinion sake, will bragging about a child's accomplishments better anyone for that matter?...is it any of my friend's business? Will it accomplish something in other's lives? Well, for me, no. I get it, you're proud of your kids and what they have accomplished. They're still in grade-school, but hear me out...
Fast forward to their high school years - what happens then when they lose interest in whatever they were excelling at back in their elementary school years? What about their dreams and aspirations? They wanted to become a Doctor when they were 8, or 9, or 10, what about when they graduate high school? What if they decide that college is no longer in their future? You see, I think it puts a lot of pressure on kids when they expect so much out of them at such a young age.
Oh, Nursing, sure that's what my kid's going to do, you say, but then how will you react when they change their major to something like, Fine Arts? Will you be disappointed then? Questions like those run in my head....so, in light of that, I will, for the sake of the baby growing inside of me, I will rear my child up on the way that the Lord wants them to go. I will not be that parent that expects so much out of them. Expectations, when not met, will be crushed and only brings disappointment. I want to be a parent that will love my child no matter what. Graduate high school (it doesn't matter if you graduate with high honors), graduate college (go to whatever college you want to), pursue what the Lord has called you to do (money can only do so much for you, know that God will always and will never fail to take care of His children).
No comments:
Post a Comment