Thursday, November 1, 2007

Avoid Godless Chatter

"Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved...Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly" (2 Timothy 2:15-16)

Sometimes, I fail to recognize that the things I say hurt people. James says "No man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poisoin" (James 3:8) Sharp words.

When my friends complain to me about a friend of theirs, I can't help but express the same feeling...resentment against that person...and then it comes to me, why did I say those things? Paul answered my question: "What I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do-this I keep on doing. But if I do what I don't want to do, I am not really the one doing the wrong; it is sin living in me that does it" (Romans 8:19-20).

How easy it is for our Filipino culture to begin with a casual conversation and gradually turn it into a gossiping frenzy.

3 comments:

David Llamoso Talaguit said...

church trumps culture

tina cacal said...

"Whoever slanders his neighbor in secret, him will I put to silence; whoever has haughty eyes and a proud heart, him will I not endure." Psalm 101:5

Plato Paragon said...

"If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God"
1 Peter 4:11