Thursday, December 3, 2015

Philippines

What a bittersweet and memorable vacation to the Philippines.  Albeit, no homework was done, but it was all worth it.

Our vernacular cannot even begin to describe in words the wonderful and blessed occasion that transpired within the two weeks that we were there.

It began as a stressful time, where my parents, my aunt, and I were painstakingly planning out the last minute details of our marriage renewal in the Philippines.  The last few days before our departure to the Philippines was tiring, yet exciting at the same time.

My last visit to the Philippines was 1997 - it has almost been 20 years since I have been there.  The most exciting thing I looked forward to was my the surprise visit that my grandmother would have never known of.  After being on an 8 hour layover in Hong Kong due to the APEC summit, Mike and I would finally land in Manila, be picked up by my father and uncle, and spend a day in Manila while we await the arrival of my other uncle from Australia.  Thanks to the APEC summit, all of our flights were delayed and our plans pushed back - but all in good times, God always has a purpose to things happening this way.  We were able to spend a full day with my uncle, eat Filipino food, and then a 4-6 hour drive to the mountains of Baguio.  My uncle arrived from Australia 9:00pm and we trekked (by we, i mean, my dad's cousin hauled us in a big van) through the beautiful mountains between 11:00pm-3:30am.  Why the night ride you say?  Because there's no traffic during those hours - actually, just minimal traffic - and yes, it was a dangerous drive - glad i slept through it all.

With intermittent naps here and there, we finally reached my hometown, Loakan, Baguio City, at around 3:30am.  My two aunts, who knew of our surprise intentions, were of course, in deep sleep and with the gates locked leading to the house, my father had to constantly call them to wake them up.  Took us around 15 minutes before they picked up and opened the doors.  After entering the home, we were greeted by my aunt's dog, who incessantly barked.  My grandmother, at this point, was still asleep - my aunt's however, took the liberty of waking her up...and so they did.

Boy was my grandmother shocked to see everyone - she was completely speechless...and in that moment, all four of her kids have been reunited once again! She was so surprised that it felt like it was a dream to her - it was surreal - she was so happy that he couldn't contain it in words - those words were praises to the Lord for His loving faithfulness to her in bringing this blessing to her.

I haven't seen my grandmother in 20 years and seeing my aunt's and uncle reunited once more, on a joyous occasion is something that I cannot begin to describe.  Our last reunion was in 1995, and that was when her husband died, followed by our departure to Texas, my aunt to California, and my uncle to Australia.  There have been times when they have visited her, but never have all of them been together again, and this year, that day, they were all together.  Their presence filled the silent rooms with laughter and tears of joy.  It was just perfect.

Her surprise party was followed by our renewal of vows.  My grandmother would have taken part in it, but that would have defeated the surprise arrival for her - I am beyond grateful that my family and my lola were able to meet Mike - incredibly thankful that LOVE was experienced through their witness and how they poured all that love for Mike - truly blessed to know that I've experience what true love is in family and the fact that the center of it all is the Love of Christ.  I know that it was hard for Mike not to have his parents around, but truly blessed that we both could experience what Love is through the example of my lola and my aunts and uncle.  In the weeks that we lived with my lola and my tita's, we were able to see love spelled out through their actions.

I was able to see my grade school teacher's and smiled and cried with them - I was able to tell them thank you for teaching me and bearing with me while I was their student - that I turned out well - that I am a blessing in their lives - that they have not forgotten who I am.

I was able to visit the places here in Baguio that I vaguely remembered - it brought back tears and memorable times.

I was able to recount the burial of my grandfather - a sad day in our lives, but happy in knowing that He is in heaven with the Lord,  I can visit him in the backyard of our home.

I was able to understand the importance of the land that my family has acquired for us.

I was able to cherish the simple life, the weather, the rooster's that woke us up at 5:00am everyday, the walking, the small sari-sari stores down the street corner.

I was able to understand my roots - to speak my dialect - to remember where I came from - to cherish what the US has.

I was able to realize what Love really means.

My heart longs to be back with my grandmother -  to be back with my homeland - to be home.


No comments: